LoganLibraryLogo Logan Library
Historical Tidbits
Historical Tidbits
Information from the Virginia Hanson Special Collections
150 Year Old Minute Book
clear

The City of Logan will celebrate its sesquicentennial on January 17th as the city's charter was granted by the Territorial Assembly on January 17, 1866. The first council minute book details the efforts to organize the first administration: an election was held on March 5, 1866 and on March 14th the elected officials met to officially organize under the charter.

Over the past year an effort was made with Utah State University to digitize this minute book which covers the years 1866 to 1886, the first twenty years after the incorporation of the city under charter. In addition, the original council book is now on display in the Virginia Hanson Special Collections room of the Logan Library.


Thanks goes to the Digital Public Library of America and the Mountain West Digital Library for funding the digitization of this minute book.

~ Jason Cornelius, Special Collections Librarian


clear
clear

Past Tidbits

clear

Historic Photos
A collection of historic photos of Logan.

Photo Title Description
Logan Historic House
130 North 100 East
about 1976
This house was built in 1897, but the original owner is unknown. If you know something about it, please let us know.

Picture ID: 6L

Source: Community Development Photo Collection
clear
clear

More Historic Photos Other Digital Projects

clear

Online Resources
Featured databases and websites

Databases

Utah Digital Newspapers
Digitized archives of Utah newspapers
World Vital Records
Connect easily to over 4.2 billion names from family history records collections worldwide.
FAQ Access in the library only.

Websites

  • Logan Maps - Various historical maps of Logan, Utah, many viewable online.
clear

More Links

clear

Mayors of Logan

William M. Howell
19th Mayor of Logan

William M. Howell Dates in Office: 1920-1922
Terms in Office: 1
clear


From Logan's History

1878

~ Construction on the Logan Tabernacle that began in 1865 was completed to the upper story and opened for LDS church services on August 3, 1878.