William Evans Jr.: 22nd Mayor of Logan

evans_lgDates in Office: 1940-1946
Terms in Office: 3
Age when Elected: 52

William Evans, Jr. was born on May 17, 1888 in Logan, Utah. His parents were William Evans and Emma Rachel Williams. He married Mabel Wealthy Wilcox on January 18, 1911 and had five children. He died in Logan, Utah on December 13, 1968.

Mr. Evans was well known locally as a successful businessman. He was also a member of the Logan City Board of Education for 10 years. He was the director and then the secretary-treasurer of Sunshine Terrace for a number of years.

Mr. Evans was Logan City mayor from 1940 to 1946.


1. "The Deseret News". Obituary for William Evans Jr. Salt Lake City, Utah, December 15, 1968.
2. "The Herald Journal". Former Mayor of Logan Dies. Logan, Utah, December 5, 1968.



  • April ~ According to the Federal Census, the population of Logan was 11,868. 45


  • ~ Edwin Gossner, born in Switzerland, came to Logan and started the Gossner Cheese Factory in 1941. Within five years he had built up the largest Swiss cheese making factory in the world, producing 120 two hundred pound wheels of cheese a day. 7

  • ~ The United States Army and Navy expanded the Logan Airport and it became a major pilot training center during the war. 19, 35


  • April 28 ~ Under the leadership of Monsignor Jerome C. Stoffel, the Catholic Church in Logan was established. From 1875 to 1941 priests traveled from Ogden to serve catholic residents of Logan. 43


  • June ~ Cache County and Logan City Commissioners decided to provide $10,000 to match government money for a large hangar at the airport [currently the Logan-Cache Airport]. 19


  • ~ During World War II a small group of German and Italian prisoners of war were confined on and near the Utah State Agricultural campus. The German prisoners of war were housed at the Cache County Fairgrounds from June 6 to November 30, 1945. Facilities were built in the northwest area of the fairgrounds to accommodate as many as 550 prisoners of war during that war. The POW camp existed until the fall of 1946. 14, 18, 43, 44

  • Spring ~ A foundation was established to provide a home for the aged and indigent. From 1948 to 1953 care of the aged was given in the Nibley Building at 290 West Center Street in Logan. Later, through the cooperation of the City and County Commissions, the project materialized under the name of Sunshine Terrace and was quartered in the former Nurses Home of the L.D.S. Hospital at 337 East 200 North. 19