James Quayle: 6th and 8th Mayor of Logan
Dates in Office: 1889-1890 [-] 1892-1894
Terms in Office: 2
Age when Elected: 58 and 60
James Quayle was born on July 16, 1831 on the Isle of Man. His parents were Robert Quayle and Catherine Shimmin. He married Elizabeth Gillions in 1855 and they had four children. He came to Logan, Utah in April 1860 and died there on July 1, 1913.
From 1875 to 1885, Mr. Quayle was the master carpenter in the construction of both the Logan Tabernacle and the Logan Temple, significant buildings in Logan and to the Mormon church. James Quayle was a Logan City Councilman from 1880 to 1882. He was elected in 1888 as a Logan City Alderman.
On March 6, 1889 James Quayle was appointed mayor after Aaron F. Farr, Jr. resigned. Mr. Quayle then left office in 1890. After this, he ran and was elected mayor on March 9, 1892. During these two terms, he established a city park in 1889. A police headquarters and Justice of the Peace Office were built in 1892. Later, a land deed was issued to Utah Agricultural College (now Utah State University), and the Logan water works was begun with ground purchased at the foothills for a reservoir.
1. "Tri-Weekly Journal". James Quayle Passes On. Logan, Utah: July 3, 1913.
2. Carter, Kate B., ed. "Heart Throbs of the West". Salt Lake City, Utah: Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, 1939, 3:53.
3. Noble, Warrum, ed. "Utah Since Statehood: Historical and Biographical". Chicago, Illinois: S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1919, 4:40.
4. Quayle, Calvin King. "James Quayle : A Compiled History". 1994.
~ A Methodist Church and a small school were erected on the corner of Main and East Center Streets. Reverend Steves was the first pastor and Miss Sweet was the first school teacher assisted by Miss Dryden. 36
~ The Oregon Short Line railroad system was incorporated. It later became part of the Union Pacific Railroad System. 47
~ The name of the semi-weekly newspaper was change from the Utah Journal to the Logan Journal by R.W. Sloan, its new owner. 36
~ Construction began on the iconic Old Main building on the campus of Utah Agricultural College (now Utah State University). 48
November 22 ~ The city dedicated four new elementary school buildings: Webster, Franklin, Card and Ellis schools. There were then 17 schools in operation in Logan. Ellis is still in use today and is the oldest elementary school building still in use in the State of Utah. 7