Andrew G. Lundstrom: 21st Mayor of Logan
Dates in Office: 1926-1940
Terms in Office: 7
Age when Elected: 58
Andrew Gustaf. Lundstrom was born on April 1, 1868 in Sweden. His parents were Peter E. Lundstrom and Brita Persdotter. He married Charlotte Johnson, Ida Louise Johnson in 1894, Lucile Olson on March 14, 1918, and Selma Olson on January 3, 1923 and had seven children. He died in Logan, Utah on October 21, 1951.
Mr. Lundstsrom was a prominent local businessman, working as president and manager of the Lundstom Furniture & Carpet Company. He was a member of the Logan City Council.
Mr. Lundstom served seven 2-year terms as mayor of Logan City, the bulk of this time being the difficult economic and social years of the Great Depression. Despite these difficulties, under his administration the municipal power plant was saved and strengthened, the city tax levy was reduced, many miles of new roads were built and about $700,000 in assets added to the city's property account. Considered by many to be a true public servant, Mr. Lundstrom accepted not a cent of money and paid all his own expenses during his fourteen years as mayor.
1. "The Herald Journal". Death Claims A.G. Lundstrom. Logan, Utah, October 22, 1951.
2. "The Herald Journal". Candidate For Another Term. Logan, Utah, November 2, 1929.
3. Noble, Warrum, ed. "Utah Since Statehood: Historical and Biographical". Chicago, Illinois: S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1919, 4:696-7.
~ The Logan Sugar Beat factory closed after twenty-five years. The plant, opened and operated by the Amalgamated Sugar Company, was built in 1901. 47, 50
~ The Logan Diesel Plant (for electricity) was established with a cost of $750,000, including the building and six diesel engines. Nine men were employed at the plant. 24
May ~ When the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints Board of Education voted to discontinue church run high schools and academies, Brigham Young College in Logan was forced to close its doors. Although the State of Utah assumed support of other academies in the state, Logan already had Utah Agricultural College. 7
~ Logan City Fire Department purchased a Studebaker Ambulance, initiating the first ambulance service in Cache County. 10
~ The City of Logan commenced ambulance service throughout Cache County.
September 9 ~ A new electric power station opened in Logan containing the largest diesel engine ever installed in the State of Utah to that point. It had a capacity of 675 horsepower, and could easily take care of the city's entire load, serving 1600 homes and businesses with electric power. 7
~ Construction on the Cache Valley General Hospital at 50 North 100 East was completed. It replaced the old hospital on Main Street. 24, 43
~ Legislative action in 1929 changed the name of the Agricultural College of Utah to Utah State Agricultural College. 1
October 19 ~ Logan City deeded the land to Cache County for the Cache County Fairgrounds. 14
April ~ According to the Federal Census, the population of Logan was 9,979. 45
August ~ The first issue of the Herald Journal, the current newspaper in Logan, was published. Its predecessor, The Journal, was published from 1892 to December 1930. 47
February 3 ~ A new building for the Cache County Library (now the Logan Library) located at 90 North 100 East was dedicated. 30
~ A contractual agreement for the Cache County Library was entered into by both Cache County and the City of Logan. Thereafter, the two entities equally shared ownership of and expenses for the library. The contract was to be in force for 25 years. 30
~ The Logan Golf and Country Club was established.
October 23 ~ The Roxy Theater opened with special equipment intended for motion picture viewing. 7
May 31 ~ Floyd Hansen flew the first air mail out of Logan and signed a contract to fly mail to and from Salt Lake City with stops at Brigham City and Ogden. 35
November 20 ~ Radio Station KVNU, a 100 watt station, made its inaugural broadcast. 47
~ The present highway through Logan Canyon was constructed and surfaced between 1935 and 1939, using federal and state money. The highway was kept open year-round for the first time in 1939. 20