TODAY'S HOURS: hours

Mae Hansen: First Library Director

Mae HansenYears: 1917-1920

Anna Mae "Mae" Hansen was born July 17, 1884, in Logan, the youngest child of Knud & Karen Marie (Jorgensen) Hansen's ten children.

Miss Hansen began her work on July 1, 1917. Two years later in July 1919, the library board began discussing the need to have a children's storytime, and a part-time person to provide this service was hired in November of that year. Also, in December 1919 Hansen reported that there were 30 to 60 books checked out each day and 80 to 100 individuals visiting the library each day.

During her short tenure, there was a statewide movement to create county library systems. In January 1919 the board members recorded their support in the minutes, saying that they "heartily approve of the principle of county libraries". By May 1919 a Cache County Library Board was formed, and in October 1920 there was a formal resolution by the board to consolidate the two libraries.

It is unknown exactly when Mae Hansen left library employment; however, by fall 1920 she had been replaced, so we can assume she had left sometime earlier that year. Miss Hansen struggled with ill health and passed away on February 20, 1921. A resolution was passed by the Cache County Library Board that month to express its sympathy to Mae Hansen's family. Within the resolution, she was called "an efficient worker, who notwithstanding ill health always preformed her duties cheerfully".

Sources:
1. "Cache County Library Has Interesting History Radio Broadcast Discloses.". Cache American. May 2, 1940 Issue.
2. "Cache County Library Open House Sunday March 15.". The Herald Journal. March 8, 1964 Issue.
3. "Minutes of the Library Board of Logan City".
4. Hatch, Anne C. "A history of the library serving Cache County, Utah". 1973.

Timeline
1916
  • April 18 ~ In accordance with Logan City Ordinance, the Logan Library was established. 

1919
  • ~ The first children's story hour was held in the Logan Library.

1920
  • ~ The Logan Library finds its first permanent location at 21 West 100 North.