Dates in Office: 1889-1890 [-] 1892-1894
Terms in Office: 2
Age when Elected: 58 and 60
James Quayle was born on July 16, 1831 on the Isle of Man. His parents were Robert Quayle and Cathrine Shimmin. He married Elizabeth Gillions in 1855 and they had four children. He came to Logan, Utah in April 1860 and died there on July 1, 1913.
From 1875 to 1885, Mr. Quayle was the master carpenter in the construction of both the Logan Tabernacle and the Logan Temple, signifigant buildings in Logan and to the Mormon church. James Quayle was a Logan City Councilman from 1880 to 1882. He was elected in 1888 as a Logan City Alderman.
On March 6, 1889 James Quayle was appointed mayor after Aaron F. Farr, Jr. resigned. Mr. Quayle then left office in 1890. After this, he ran and was elected mayor on March 9, 1892. During these two terms, he established a city park in 1889. A police headquarters and Justice of the Peace Office were built in 1892. Later, a land deed was issued to Utah Agricultural College (now Utah State University), and the Logan water works was begun with ground purchased at the foothills for a reservoir.
1. "Tri-Weekly Journal". James Quayle Passes On. Logan, Utah: July 3, 1913.
2. Carter, Kate B., ed. "Heart Throbs of the West". Salt Lake City, Utah: Daughters of the Utah Pioneers, 1939, 3:53.
3. Noble, Warrum, ed. "Utah Since Statehood: Historical and Biographical". Chicago, Illinois: S.J. Clarke Publishing Company, 1919, 4:40.
4. Quayle, Calvin King. "James Quayle : A Compiled History". 1994.
November 22 ~ Four elementary school buildings are constructed. The Webster, Franklin, Card and Ellis Elementary Schools at that time brought the total number of schools to 17 in operation in Logan. Ellis is still in use today and is the oldest continually operated elementary school in the State of Utah. 6