Dates in Office: 1886-1889
Terms in Office: 1
Age when Elected: 36
Aaron Freeman Farr, Jr. was born November 1, 1850 in Salt Lake City, Utah to Aaron Freeman Far, Sr. and Persia Atherton. He married Mary Maria Nebeker on April 4, 1871 and they had six children. Mr. Farr came to Logan in 1871 and died on April 2, 1907.
A prominent businessman, Mr. Farr was manager of the Z.C.M.I store in Logan. He served as a member of the territorial legislature, as a Logan City Councilman, as Cache County Commissioner, and as Cache County Treasurer. He also was on the board for Utah Agricultural College (now Utah State University). In 1888 he was appointed to the Utah Legislature's newly created Board of Commissioners on Capitol Grounds.
Mr. Farr was elected Mayor of Logan in 1886 but resigned his office on February 28, 1889. During his time as mayor, the city purchased full ownership of the Logan Electric Light Company, furnishing inexpensive electricity for public street lightings until 1896.
1. "The Herald Journal". Obituary of Aaron F. Farr, Jr. Logan, Utah, 2 April 1907.
2. "Capitol Grounds Commission : Agency History #188". Utah : Division of State Archives Website. Accessed 1-1-2010.
3. Jensen, Andrew, ed. "Latter-day Saint Biographical Encyclopedia". Salt Lake City, Utah: Publishing Press, 1971, 4:702.
4. Ricks, Joel E., ed. "The History of a Valley : Cache Valley, Utah-Idaho". Logan, Utah: Cache Valley Centennial Commission, 1956, page 228.
~ The Logan City Revised Ordinances were published. 2
March ~ Logan City rented a room in the new County Courthouse for City Council Meetings. The rent was $75.00 per annum. 2
May ~ Sexton Hugh Adams finished removing the bodies from the old cemetery. All bodies were moved to the cemetery proper at the expense of the city. 2
Winter ~ A long distance telephone line was built from Ogden to Logan. 6
~ Utah Agricultural College was established as a territorial Institution founded upon a U.S. land grant and by territorial appropriations to give young men and women in Utah a liberal education. 25, 39, 42
~ The City of Logan purchased the Logan Electric Light and Power Company from Garff and Lundberg and moved the equipment to 300 West. The City had purchased half of the stock in the company in 1886. This was one of the first cases of municipal ownership of a power company in Utah. 7, 39
May 5 ~ A petition from seventy-four persons and business firms was presented to the City Council. As a result, on January 4, 1889 the deed of sale was received by the City of Logan. This land became what is today Willow Park. 2